Goal of Child Restraint
To help drivers understand the importance of restraining young children while they are being transported, and to create an awareness of how to properly utilize the safety equipment in a vehicle as responsible adults.
Child Restraint Course Content
- Crash Dynamics – How seatbelts help occupants “ride down” a crash.
- Dispelling the myths and excuses about use and avoidance of seatbelts.
- Air Bags – how they work and how to ride in airbag equipped vehicles.
- Car safety seats for children – used versus new.
- Types of car seats and when to use each type.
- How to properly install car safety seats in vehicles.
- Understanding Florida's Child Restraint law.
- Determine if car seats brought in by students are proper for their children.
Child Restraint Course Format
- Three (3) hour class conducted by a certified instructor.
- An interactive format including lecture, videos, and student interaction.
- Students are to bring in car seats for inspection. (Car seats are available at no cost for qualified students.)
- First Contact the Clerk of the Court within 30 days of the citation to obtain an affidavit.
- Then, you must register for the class by contacting:
- The Florida Safety Council Casselberry 407-897-8948 or
- The Florida Safety Council Longwood 407-831-7200
Note: Bring your car seat to class. Information on obtaining a car seat will be discussed in class.
Classes will be held at 1505 E. Colonial Drive, Orlando, Florida 32803